Saturday, July 15, 2006

Team Building Weekend

So yesterday and today was the Gaither Cowboys football team, Team Building Weekend. This was an event that I was "assisnged" to cooridinate. being the first time I've done such a thing I was a little nervous at first, then went through a worrying stage, but I can sit here tonight and say the two days were a complete sucess. As part of "rebuilding" the team we want to start instilling in these young men a sense of team work and family. These two items are not only vital in football, but in life as well. We as a staff truly feel that we are preparing these young men for life as well as football games. So yesterday we had a team bowling day. We had roughly forty players show up and they all had a great time. Today was the big day as we were volunteering at a horse farm that provides theraputic riding for the handicapped. We found this particular place through the United Way. Being that yes these are young men and should know how to handle themselves in public I was a little nervous because the programs name is on the line and I also felt my name was on the line as I was the one that set the event up. Anyways, what we had to do was "re-bed" the stalls the horses stay in. While it doesn't sound all that tough let me tell you it was tough and there's about forty young men and a few grown men that will sleep well tonight. We gave them eight hours of work and they were very appreciative of what we were able to accomplish. As I said the weekend was a sucess and hopefully it leads to these young men being better grown men down the line and hopefully we've instilled a family atmosphere in the program. Sorry if this is one big rambling run on paragraph, but it's late (for me) and I'm a whupped puppy. We took a bunch of pictures so hopefully I'll be able to post some in the coming days. GREAT JOB COWBOYS!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Hey, Greg, sounds wonderful. I just got to hear a former Disney Teacher of the Year speak in Orlando. You may really like his book called The Essential 55. Here is his website.

Anyway, the thing that struck me about your story here...is that you are getting these young men ready for life. This really is the premise behind everything that Ron Clark does. He is adament that his "kids" learn skills that will help them be successful in the job market later on....

Great job! I know you are making a difference in the lives of these young men!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm really proud of you and your concern for developing those young men...as well as the hard work you're putting in doing it. Can't wait to be in the stands again when the season starts. That will certainly be an emotional time for me!!
LY...M

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»