Monday, June 26, 2006

Growing Older...

Before I get into my main message let me say to all the non-registered bloggers that I have now set it so that you can blog anonymously.

So as I was reading my brother's blog and more importantly dad's response to his frustration, I started to reflect on how much our parents change as THEY grow older. I can hear the comments from dad in that same situation 20 years or so ago and can PROMISE you they wouldn't have been so laid back as he responded with. I can't tell you how many times growing up I buried my head in my hands and walked out of a place of business as dad went on one of his famous customer services speeches. At one point I can remember almost owning Sears and of course the story of him straightening a fast food resturaunt managers tie. Those stories are virtualy endless, but the part that gets me about your parents growing older is when you have kids yourself. How at times you're being to hard ont he kids because you get on them about drinking half a coke or leaving doors open or kicking a ball in the house or wearing socks outside. There was a full fledged soccer game in mom and dad's living room yesterday and the "older" adults among us just sat back and watched, now had I even THOUGHT about such a thing I can PROMISE there would have been a "price" to pay mainly by my backside. Gwampa can be sound a sleep in his chair and the kids can run and literally jump on him and it's "hi sweetheart how are you", again MUCH different than when we were kids. I guess it comes with the territory, but it simply amazes me how much more laid back and calm they have become in their retirement years.

I'll wrap this up as I have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old pulling at each arm to take them bike riding. Until next time, happy blogging.

3 comments:

Susan said...

You go bike-riding and just know that you are "one day closer" to being able to spoil your own grandchildren one day!! I think looking back, we tend to find those things that were small that we saw as "giant" and say...."what WAS the big deal???"

Perspective is EVERYTHING!!!

Dan said...

How many soccer games did we have halted?

Anonymous said...

I'm send ing this comment to each of your BLOGS, as it applies to all.

The "gene pool" huh? Yes you're right, we do change considerably as we age and the stresses we felt as younger adults tends to come more into perspective and relevance. As I remember the stories you've "let out", I smile. Do we change? Definitely! Is it for the better? Definitely! Do we see ourselves in our children? Thank God, DEFINITELY!

Sus, Dan and Greg, I LOVE YOU ALL for what you each are and the traits you picked up from the "Old Man". You each, THANKFULLY, have balanced those traits with the traits of your Mother(s). Those have given you the sensibility and patience, reflected in your own personalities.

Love to all,
Dad